Tuesday, May 03, 2005

April 26th, huh? I haven't written anything down since April 26th. Makes sense, I guess. It's another one of those things...too much or too little has happened. In this case, I think it's too much. Some things I dare not write about, while others...just aren't worth it. What am I talking about? If I don't know, you have no idea.

Let's do the typical journal thing and talk specifically about what I did today. It was an okay day. Sort of bittersweet. One of those moods I get in from time to time. Opened at Caribou at 5am as usual. Today it was with Katrina. Only one minor disaster, when I tried tot brew coffee in a coffee urn that was already half full. Turns out the crappy closers *KATE* didn't empty them out. So, coffee went all over the place, but we weren't open yet, so Katrina was the only one who witnessed it.

I worked DT again, and I got to work with my two favorite guys, Adam and Kenny. They're both Christian guys who love to sing show tunes with me, so it's all good. However, you're very isolated and alone when you work drive-thru. So...I didn't get to chat or sing much today. Carrie had her friend Dave from another Caribou come and work with us today. I knew I'd have a great time when he s tarted singing Newsies a long with Adam...yes! SCORE! All four of us were singing so loudly...fortunately for us, the customers enjoyed it.

So, work ended and I went immediately to Target to pick up my copy of The Phantom Of The Opera 2-disc special edition DVD. YES! I had exactly enough money...all in one dollar bills. It was hilarious.

After that, I went home. My mom was giving me chores to do, and I fell asleep sitting up on the couch. My nap lasted for all of five minutes, as mom insisted on carrying on a conversation with me about alfalfa sprouts...

Fortunately, she left and I could sleep! Except that I didn't. My mind was racing through different scenarios of certain events t hat might take place in the near future. I haven't slept for a few days... too much going on upstairs.

There's a ministry fair coming up at FLC, and they've asked me to set up a drama booth to really kick the program into high gear. WOO! Except that...it's only me, you know? And that's a lot of work for one person who works crazy hours like I do. Oh, well. I can handle it. Anyway!

So, I read a book instead. A dumb book, but it kept me busy. Then I had my meeting with Ben and Perry. It was during that meeting that I realized I will be missing the final GetDown of the year. The party, the blow out, etc, etc. It's on May 23rd, and I have a prior engagement. A prior engagement that will have me engaged until around 11pm, a couple hours too late for Getdown. I haven't told Perry yet, because I don't know how. I'd have to have a really good explanation, and I don't feel like it. Needless to say, I was not very talkative during the meeting.

I got home, and I was just restless. So, I got on my bike and started riding. I stopped at the library to return na couple of movies, and then I took a ride down the new Clark Street (Kelly, you haven't seen it...you'll be amazed). I rode all over Lake Avenue (the most beautiful bike ride ever) and I felt at peace for a little while. My head was almost quiet.

The weather was perfect. The past few days it's actually been snowing, and today people were wearing t-shirts and playing soccer in the sunshine. Psycho state...sheesh. Anyway. I rode down to optimist beach, and then my head would NOT shut up.

I walked over to the swing set, and suddenly my head just started...spinning almost with all of these thoughts, ideas, and...fears. The beach was completely empty, and I love it when it's like that. Everything was so calm. The only company was a couple of ducks waddling back and forth alonog the shore line.

I walked over to the swings, and picked out the one swing with a blue seat. It was different from the rest. As I got closer, I realized the seat said "Miracle" on it. It made me smile.

After taking a seat on the swing, I was suddenly a child again. My knees went together, and my toes pointed in, and I began pumping me legs back and forth as fast as I could. I remembered back to when I had been on that very same swing set, had swung as high as I could, and then just let myself fly off onto the soft sandy beach. I couldn't even dream of doing that now. Like so many things in my life, I'm too scared of gettinig hurt.

For a little while, I remembered how I used to feel when I was little. I was always more content by myself and my own imagination. Living vicariously through the characters I'd create in my head. I wrote stories on and off paper, always coming up with the best possible outcomes for each tale I'd create. I was always the star, and I was never unhappy.

I wasn't a loner, I enjoyed other people's company. But it wasn't necessary all the time. I could be by myself and be just as happy. Sometimes I wish I could still be that way. For a moment today, I was...until I looked at the empty swing next to me.

I was suddenly completely overwhelmed with an urgent need of having someone there beside me. I wanted someone to be there so badly, it was almost suffocating. Suddenly I didn't like it there anymore, so I got off the swing and walked to the water. I walked the length of the beach but it was too quiet. The water w as still and suddenly sad. I turned and walked back to my bike. I climbed the hill back up to Lake Ave. and rode straight home.

I busied myself with helping mom make dinner. We watched American Idol, and then I went to go watch One Tree Hill. I fell asleep halfway through. I bet it was good though.

The night ended as it usually does, with a much needed conversation with BJ. Then it was off to work yet again. Alas, alas. The cycle continues.

No comments: